Founded in 2017, Emerge Louisiana is the premier political leadership training organization for Democratic women in Louisiana. Our mission is to recruit, train and inspire Democratic women to pursue public office at the local, state and national levels through our 6-month campaign training program. Emerge Louisiana’s work is sorely needed. Emerge Louisiana will level the playing field by recruiting and training Democratic women who want to run for office, but who may feel they lack the necessary knowledge or connections to mount a successful campaign.
While women comprise more than 50% of the electorate, they still hold just 29% of elected offices in this country.
Emerge Louisiana is an affiliate of Emerge, a national organization currently working in 26 states: Arizona, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
We are seeking a highly motivated, talented, self-disciplined and entrepreneurial individual to serve as the full time Executive Director. The ED reports to Emerge’s national office and works with state advisors to achieve organizational goals. The primary responsibilities include but are not limited to: fundraising and budget management, program implementation, class recruitment, and support for program members and alumnae.
The Executive Director will organize and facilitate Emerge Louisiana’s flagship training program and is responsible for building and maintaining the organizational infrastructure. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Program & Communications
- Recruit and inspire Democratic women from diverse backgrounds to run for office;
- Execute our flagship 6-month campaign training, including managing training logistics, scheduling, recruiting and preparing trainers;
- Support and engage Emerge Louisiana’s alumnae to further our mission;
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization;
- Manage all external communication for the organization;
- Represent the organization at coalition meetings and with partner organizations;
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders
Fundraising & Administration
- Manage day-to-day operations for the organization;
- Direct all fundraising efforts including: event management, donor solicitation, state advisory efforts, regular email solicitation, and mailings;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with donors;
- Administer the organization’s database
- Build and manage relationships with the state advisors and oversee all state advisors governance, including scheduling and preparing for state advisors meetings, participating in organizational recruitment, development and training and managing all state advisors committees;
- Develop a vision and strategic plan to advance the organization’s mission;
- Maintain and grow a vibrant, inclusive network of diverse Emerge alumnae, women in office, male supporters, donors, trainers, mentors, recruits and others to ensure meaningful connections for Democratic women in Louisiana;
- Ensure that Emerge Louisiana is actively participating with our national affiliate, Emerge;
- Identify opportunities to expand programmatic offerings to support the mission of Emerge Louisiana.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of Emerge’s mission and we are committed to building an organization reflective of the incredible diversity of our Democratic Party. Applications from people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are encouraged.
In addition, Emerge is seeking the following specific qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 years relevant professional work experience with 3 of those years being in Louisiana politics;
- Non-profit management experience in some of the following functions: state advisors, budgets, administrative functions, program development and fundraising;
- Demonstrated fundraising success and comfort raising money from individuals and organizations;
- Comfort with public speaking and excellent written and oral communications;
- Familiarity of working with state and county party politics and local institutions;
- Experience working on multiple political campaigns, preferably at least one at the Louisiana State level and one at the county or municipal level;
- Ability to develop trusted and effective working relationships with diverse constituencies, including state advisors, staff, donors, elected officials, volunteers and an array of supporters and stakeholders;
- Effective organizational skills, multi-tasking abilities, attention to detail and efficiency in time management while working independently;
- Ability to oversee the strategic planning process, including the development of measurable goals and implementation of the strategic plan;
- Fluency with Google and MS Office tools (Docs/Slides/Sheets and Word/PowerPoint/Excel), as well as Google Drive and other cloud-based document sharing tools such as box.com, dropbox.com, etc.
- Proficiency with social media platforms, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
Demonstrated commitment to democratic ideals;
- Passion for and knowledge of women’s political leadership issues and political campaigns;
The following is required of the candidate:
- Access to high speed internet
- Safe, well maintained and fully insured automobile
Preferred but not required:
- Familiarity with database tools, NGP VAN, etc.
JOB LOCATION AND SCHEDULE
- Remote location negotiable (Must be in Louisiana);
- Extensive in-state travel and some out-of-state travel is required;
- Valid drivers license and vehicle and willingness to travel by air is required; and,
- Flexible work hours, including weekends and evenings hours
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- $60,000-70,000 commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, vision, 401k and life insurance benefits
- Travel reimbursement
- Cellphone/internet stipend
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter, social media contact information, resume, and three professional references by the close of business on December 23, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Emerge Louisiana Executive Director Application”. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in women in politics.
Emerge will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our mission. We want our team to reflect the incredible diversity of the women whose political power we seek to build. Therefore, we especially encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities and members of other groups who are underrepresented in our political system.